Careers at Thunder Bay
Careers at Thunder Bay Power Engineer
Thunder Bay Pulp & Paper is a leading northern bleached softwood kraft and northern bleached hardwood kraft pulp, paper, newsprint and directory producer. Located on Lake Superior, the Thunder Bay mill has been a landmark company of northwestern Ontario since 1924. In August 2023, Atlas Holdings established Thunder Bay Pulp & Paper as an independent pulp and paper operation, joining Atlas’ global family of manufacturing and distribution businesses.
We are looking for power engineers to join our team. Candidates must have at least a 4th Class Certificate when applying, obtain a 3rd Class Certificate within 18 months of their start date and be able to legally work in Canada at the time of applying for the position. Candidates should have industrial experience and be able to work safely independently or as part of a team. We offer a four on, four off shift work schedule.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- Monitors all processes and equipment in the steam plant and recovery department,
- Operate and maintain low and high pressure steam systems,
- Operate equipment to support various production units including turbines, pumps, compressors, cooling towers and gas systems,
- Performs housekeeping duties and operational maintenance as assigned,
- Provide isolation, lockouts, clearances and safe work permits on Utilities systems and process equipment,
- Previous experience working in an industrial facility would be an asset.
- Candidates with a 4th Class Certificate start at $33.44/hour and after approximately one month of training move to $38.21. Individuals with a 3rd Class Certificate receive an additional $1.68/hour and a 2nd Class Certificate pays an additional $1.85/hour. There are also shift and Sunday pay premiums and opportunities to move to higher level positions including shift supervisor that pays $50.16/hour and incentives for employees to obtain their 2nd Class and 1st Class Certificates.
- There is an opportunity for employees to earn an additional $1.00/hour once an on-line course is completed. The course is paid for by the company,
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision care and medical benefits along with vacation and pension plan.
Thunder Bay Pulp and Paper Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and work environment. We accommodate the needs of individuals under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) in all steps of the recruitment process. Please advise Human Resources of any accessibility needs. Only selected candidates will be contacted. Candidates should forward their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.